We take a lot of medications and are still sick. The Nutritional Docs Anne Fleck, Matthias Riedl and Jörn Klasen say diet can be a chance to become and stay healthy. Food = medicine. The third part of an interesting TV documentary in German TV showed three more examples. So here’s a brief summary.
- Extreme obesity
The NDR homepage http://www.ndr.de/fernsehen/sendungen/die-ernaehrungsdocs/index.html provides plenty of easily understandable background information, videos, tips and recipes – unfortunately only in German.
Lack of exercise, poor diet, psychological problems, hormonal imbalances or genetic factors – the number of overweight people is more and more increasing in industrialized nations. A Body Mass Index (BMI) over 30 is considered to be overweight. Exception: People who have a lot of muscle mass. Obesity is a major risk factor for high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, diabetes, joint disease and even cancer. For people with extreme obesity often only remains sleeve gastrectomy. But this should be the last resort. There need to be other possibilities. For example a formula diet described by the doctor. This diet is low in carbohydrates and high in protein to prevent muscle breakdown.
- Proper diet: vegetables, legumes, low-carb, lean meats and fish
- high protein diet
- Nutrition tips (German): http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/gesundheit/Ernaehrungstherapie-bei-Adipositas,adipositas138.html
- Recipes (German): http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/kochen/rezepte/rezeptdb242.html
Raging, throbbing, stabbing headaches that occur in attacks often accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light and noise – this is migraine. Triggers for migraines are often stress, weather, hormonal disorders, and even certain foods, such as sugar, flavour enhancers, preservatives. It is important to have a regular schedule of meals.
- Lifestyle change
- Endurance sports!
- muscle relaxation
- Nutrition tips (German): http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/gesundheit/Ernaehrung-bei-Migraene,migraene118.html
- Recipes (German): http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/kochen/rezepte/rezeptdb240.html
Joint pain, morning stiffness, muscle tearing are part of everyday life: rheumatism is a widespread disease. About 400 different diseases are summarized under the term rheumatism: these include gout, lupus, and most commonly rheumatoid arthritis. The causes are still not fully resolved; but it is ensured that it is an autoimmune disease.
- Special anti-inflammatory diet
- little meat
- Omega-3 fatty acids found in oily fish
- linseed oil
- Green smoothies with green leafy vegetables
- Exercise, physiotherapy
- Nutrition tips (German): http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/gesundheit/Ernaehrung-bei-Fettstoffwechselstoerung,rheuma176.html
- Recipes (German): http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/kochen/rezepte/rezeptdb238.html