Swallowing many pills and being sick anyway, that’s not necessary. Take the chance to become and stay healthy by nutrition. This is not a utopia. The second part of an interesting TV documentary in German TV showed three more examples. So here’s a brief summary.
- Fatty liver
- Multiple sclerosis
The NDR homepage http://www.ndr.de/fernsehen/sendungen/die-ernaehrungsdocs/index.html provides you with plenty of easily understandable background information, videos, tips and recipes – unfortunately only in German.
Hypertension is a common disease in industrialized countries. More than one in four adults in Germany has too high blood pressure, many without knowing it. High blood pressure often causes hardly any discomfort, but is extremely dangerous: fat deposition in the arteries, thrombosis, myocardial infarction and stroke may result. Often caused by overweight, lack of exercise, alcohol, smoking and poor diet, but also job-related or personal stress. In addition, the reason for high blood pressure may be a genetic predisposition. Also the hormones may adversely affect the blood pressure, eg. the “pill”, pregnancy or menopause.
- Proper diet: vegetables, fruits, fish, little salt. Drink plenty of water and herbal teas.
- Weight reduction
- Little alcohol, no cigarettes
- Stress reduction!
- Nutrition tips (German): http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/gesundheit/Ernaehrung-bei-Bluthochdruck,bluthochdruck146.html
- Recipes (German): http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/kochen/rezepte/rezeptdb230.html
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
Multiple sclerosis is a chronic inflammation of the nervous system. Women are affected more often than men with MS. Often the disease is diagnosed in young adulthood. The development of MS is not yet established. Possible causes include a genetic predisposition and certain environmental influences. Also a possible vitamin D deficiency and childish overweight. MS is not curable but can be treated.
- Ketogenic diet: vegetables, high-quality oils, nuts, seeds. Daily rich sources of protein: meat, fish, poultry, eggs, milk fat, rich dairy products, omega-3 fatty acids.
- Preferably no carbohydrates.
- Physiotherapy, ergotherapy, speech therapy
- Alternative methods: acupuncture, homeopathy, anthroposophical curative methods
- Nutrition tips (German): http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/gesundheit/Ernaehrung-bei-Multipler-Sklerose,multiplesklerose164.html
- Recipes (German): http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/kochen/rezepte/rezeptdb234.html
Fatty liver is a common disease. Almost one in four adults is affected by this disease of civilization. Particularly strong overweight, diabetic, and many obese children suffer from it. Causes are usually overweight, alcohol abuse, drugs. Due to lack of protein also lean people can be affected. The risk of fatty liver increases during pregnancy.
- No alcohol
- Weight reduction
- Possibly special protein drinks prescribed by a doctor
- Nutrition tips (German): http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/gesundheit/Ernaehrungstherapie-bei-Fettleber,fettleber120.html
- Recipes (German): http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/kochen/rezepte/rezeptdb236.html